U-Turn Service Centre Social Auxiliary Worker (Parow)
U-turn is a thriving non-profit that exist to give homeless people the skills to overcome homelessness. Founded in 1997, we believe in life after homelessness. We believe that every homeless individual should have access to an effective pathway that addresses their physical, spiritual and emotional needs so they can leave the streets and become a long-term productive member of society.
To help homeless people overcome homelessness we operate a phased approach that includes rehabilitation from substance abuse, counselling, life-skills training and work placement in one of our social enterprises. This allows candidates to test and apply the training they’ve received. In the process, the programme inculcates a healthy work ethic, furnish modern job skills and give 18-24 months of real work experience so that individuals can graduate and be gainfully employed in the modern South African economy.
The programme is yielding wonderful results. Our candidates typically graduate into open market employment and show an 80% long term success rate! We are actively working to expand the programme to more locations in Cape Town and across South Africa.
U-turns Service Centres provide services to people living on the streets, to prepare them for and to support them on a journey of change. This includes providing food and clothing, therapeutic and development based interventions, and providing recovery support for those struggling with substance abuse. The ultimate aim of the Service Centre is to prepare individuals to participate in our work-based rehabilitation programme.
U-turn is looking for a Social Axillary Worker who will be working at Parow Centre of Hope in partnership with MES. The position will require the successful candidate to work under the supervision of a Social Worker managing a caseload of clients through the first 2 phases of the U-turn Life Change journey and assisting with referral of clients who are ready to the 3rd phase Work Readiness program. This will include weekly case-discussions with the Social Worker, Group work, Assessments, Individual sessions and referrals
The ideal candidate will be a committed Christian who has previous experience working within a multidisciplinary team, individual case management, facilitating group sessions and implementing long term individual development plans. An added advantage will be if you have experience working with people who have lived experience of overcoming homelessness. If you wish to use your skills and experience to make a difference, then consider applying for this full time position.
Key areas of Responsibility
- Outreach to homeless individuals on the street, encouraging them that change is possible.
- Form supportive and accountable relationships with homeless individuals, referring them to relevant services within U-turn.
- Discuss cases with the Social Worker and get input regarding relevant referrals.
- Accompany clients on relevant referrals and assist with accessing the necessary support services.
- Assist with service delivery at the service centre, purposefully engaging those on the earlier phases of the journey.
- Complete base-line assessment with new clients.
- Complete relevant progress reports, client notes and service instances after each individual/group session.
- Use and contribute to existing planning and record keeping systems to ensure continuous improvement of your areas of responsibility.
Experience and Skills
- Registered with SACSSP as a Social Auxiliary Worker (essential)
- A Valid Driver’s License(essential)
- Previous experience of working with people experiencing homelessness (an added advantage)
- Previous experience working with addiction (and added advantage)
- Fluency in English (speaking Afrikaans will be an added advantage)
- Good interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills including listening skills
- Good background and experience in Microsoft Office programs
- Managerial and leadership skills and experience
- Good record keeping and administrative skills
- Good time management, organization and planning skills
- Resourceful individual that is not easily flustered
- Ability to self-motivate, and work with minimal supervision, and supervise a multidisciplinary team
- Collaborative team player – concerned with the team success as well as individual performance
- Emotionally mature individual
- Problem solver who is open to change and able to take initiative
- Willingness to learn and grow personally
Candidates interested in this position must submit a letter of motivation and CV to [email protected] letter of motivation should be approximately 1 page in length and include information on why you would like to work at U-turn and how you fulfill the required knowledge skills set outlined above. PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS WITHOUT A LETTER OF MOTIVATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Job Type: Full-time
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Parow, Western Cape: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Are you registered with SACSSP?
- Do you have a valid Drivers License?
- Do you have experience working with people in drug addiction or homelessness?
- What is your salary expectation?
- Have you uploaded your motivational letter?