Job description – House Parent Reliever, Observatory, Cape Town Background
U-turn is a thriving non-profit that exists to give homeless people the skills to overcome homelessness. Founded in 1997, we believe in life after homelessness. We believe that every homeless individual should have access to an effective pathway that addresses their physical, spiritual and emotional needs so they can leave the streets and become a long-term productive member of society.
To help homeless people overcome homelessness we operate a phased approach that includes rehabilitation from substance abuse, counselling, life-skills training and work placement in one of our social enterprises. This allows candidates to test and apply the training they’ve received. In the process, the programme inculcates a healthy work ethic, furnishes modern job skills and gives 18-24 months of real work experience so that individuals can graduate and be gainfully employed in the modern South African economy.
The programme is yielding wonderful results. Our candidates typically graduate into open market employment and show an 80% long term success rate! We are actively working to expand the programme to more locations in Cape Town and across South Africa.
The Secondary House Manager (house parent) will assist in overseeing the day to day running of a house in Observatory, Cape Town when the Primary House parents or off duty. This house provides affordable accommodation for up to 14 men enrolled on our Work Readiness Program. This position is ideal for an individual who are committed Christian, wants to grow in discipleship and has a heart for helping the poorest and most marginalized of our City. The successful candidate will have to live on the property during the days that he/she is on duty.
Key areas of responsibility
- Where possible, assist houseparents in screening new applicants
- Manage the day to day running of the property when on duty, ensuring it is well looked after and ensuring house rules are adhered to in a fair but consistent manner.
- Key point of contact for the residents include the provision of discipleship support, inducting new residents into the property, assisting with problem solving and conflict management where required.
- Oversee menu planning, meal prep and clearing up and ensuring there is sufficient food and consumables (e.g. cleaning products, toilet paper etc)
- Work closely with relevant U-turn staff including Case Managers and the Building and Logistics Manager.
- Develop and maintaining a good relationship with the neighbours and the community
- Oversee/run evening activities and assist Houseparent’s with coordinating volunteers who are coming in to support with activities and house operations
- Ensure relevant data is captured in Salesforce
Attributes, skills and experience
- Experience working with homeless people (desirable)
- Experience in Christian discipleship (desirable)
- Computer literate - Word, Excel, Internet, Email (essential)
- Driver’s license
- Well-developed analysis and decision making skills
- Good, efficient communication and active listening skills
- Strong leadership and facilitation skills
- Excellence in time management & prioritization skills and able to instruct others in such skills
- A resourceful individual that takes initiative and is not easily flustered
- A problem solver who is open to change and innovation
- Willingness to learn and grow personally
- A heart for servant leadership with a sense of openness, honesty and willingness. An enthusiastic person who is devoted to South Africa and wants to use their skills and experience to make a meaningful difference
Candidates interested in this position must submit a letter of motivation and CV to [email protected]. The letter of motivation should be approximately 1 page in length and include information on why you would like to work at U-turn and how you fulfil the required attributes, skills and experience outlined above. Applications without a letter of motivation will NOT be considered.
Job Type: Full-time
- Do have experience in Christian discipleship?
- Are you willing to volunteer?
- Have you worked with people in drug addiction and Homelessness?
- Have you uploaded your motivational letter?