PepsiCo products are enjoyed by consumers more than one billion times a day in more than 200 countries and territories around the world. PepsiCo generated more than $79 billion in net revenue in 2021, driven by a complementary beverage and convenient foods portfolio that includes Lay’s, Doritos, Cheetos, Gatorade, Pepsi-Cola, Mountain Dew, Quaker, and SodaStream. PepsiCo's product portfolio includes a wide range of enjoyable foods and beverages, including many iconic brands that generate more than $1 billion each in estimated annual retail sales.
Guiding PepsiCo is our vision to Be the Global Leader in Beverages and Convenient Foods by Winning with PepsiCo Positive (pep+). pep+ is our strategic end-to-end transformation that puts sustainability and human capital at the center of how we will create value and growth by operating within planetary boundaries and inspiring positive change for planet and people. For more information, visit www.pepsico.com.
What we’re looking for:
The R&D Product Development Technologist will organize and execute R&D projects related to SA and nuts projects . These include innovation, renovation, Technical brand stewardship and quality assurance programs. Primary purpose of this role :
- Support the Snr NPD manager to drive and deliver the Dried fruit and nuts agenda for South Africa in totality.
- Support key projects as allocated by the Snr NPD mngr to deliver the inno NR targets.
- Work in cloely with key R&D functions such as FSQA, SQA, SCE, and other functional teams (Packaging) within R&D to deliver key R&D deliverables.
Leverage strong technical background to lead on formula design, lab/factory trials, nutritional assessments, shelf-life studies, sensory evaluations and other technical assessments and validations.
Support Packaging team on shelflife validations required for packaging changes (sustainability, EPR and other)
The planning and execution of projects and project documentation, system ownership and overall delivery to project , system and function cadences related to key systems.
Support and where needed lead the dried fruit and nuts agenda for R&D.
Deliver against the NPD agenda ensuring the delivery of the inno NR and Vol targets
Delivery of prototypes and conceptual samples based on project needs.
- Own, lead and drive relevant R&D related factory trials both at PepsiCo facilities, 3PM and JV sites. Ensure full ownership to co-ordinate trials with core functions such as SC, Mnfr, Packaging, RTE’s, Commercialisation and other related teams.
- Own and disseminate trial protocols, costs related to trials and trial reports.
Own, update and create (when needed) ZBR (zero base recipes), load requests on digital platforms (SONAR, DELTA)
- Own and ensure ownership of key samples for post event usage from trials for relevant business needs.
- Own the NPD stage gate process related to relevant projects, including leading the TSG process to those key projects.
- Support relevant Project consumer research samples and relevant engagement with the SCE team based on consumer research requirements.
- Engage actively with R&D teams (eg: FSQA, SQA, Packaging, Seasoning, Regulatory) related to key dried fruit and nuts projects. When required drive Material qualification.
- Support the development of the H2 – H5 innovation pipeline. Where needed scope and produce relevant protoypes.
Support the productivity team to deliver key cost saving projects on the dried fruit and nuts platform.
- Where needed engage with the R&D team (Snacks) to drive OHS enhanced scores
- Ability to use MS office suites, presentation prep and presentation skills to multiple level senior R&D leaders.
What will qualify you for the role:
Minimum Education: Food Science degree / B. Tech degree (Food Technology/ Engineering)/ Chemical engineering, Applied Chemistry
+ 3-5 years’ experience in R&D environment in FMCG
Fluent in English, read, write and speak. Ability to (speaking and writing).
R&D experience. Experience in dried fruit and/or nuts / Snack R&D experience an
- Demonstrated knowledge on GMP, HACCP, FSSC 22000 (advantage)
- Analytical, structured way of working, strong communication skills
“PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer in line with the Employment Equity Act"